Saturday, April 23, 2011

Blog Bragging about John Folsom: Summering at the End of Empire




In an interview earlier this week, I was asked what kind of people attract me lately...

My answer is people who are full of light and life and are following their passion. Not to say I'm not close with people still finding their passion, but the people I'm immediately attracted to are those who know what they want out of life and are in the process of making it happen. There is a confidence there that is unmistaken. And I think it's safe to say we are all attracted to that innate quality, aren't we?

As far as artists go, I'm attracted to those that take viewers on a journey. We learn as they learn and we gain insight when there is growth in their work.

John's newest pieces that I was really drawn to

One such artist is John Folsom. If anyone here has been reading my blog on any regular basis or knows me personally, then you know I've been exhibiting my work with John for a few years now. We are good friends and contemporaries, and I've always been a huge fan of his work. I'm excited to say he has yet another Museum Exhibition under his belt! Congratulations, FO!!!!

Installation that is NOT to be missed!
Be sure to read about the reclaiming of the lost growth ring when you go to the show!

My favorite piece in the show

Two weeks ago tonight, John's Marietta Art Museum show opened. That was the night I returned from Italy and as much as I wanted to drive straight from the airport to attend the opening event, I was completely spent. The great thing about having a personal "in" with the artist is a private tour! I met up with John yesterday to see his show and talk with him about his latest body of works in 'Summering at the End of Empire'. I hope those of you in the local Atlanta area will be able to go see his show in person. It's fantastico! I'm blog-bragging here and sharing a few snapshots of the show that John has generously given me permission to post.

John Folsom with his work at Marietta Art Museum

John Folsom: Summering at the End of Empire

April 9 – July 3 in Galleries 1-3


******

John Folsom's work deals primarily with the way in which images of landscape are used or fictionalized to present a personal sense of place. Folsom's photographic paintings have been widely exhibited for the past 10 years and can be found in many collections worldwide.



Summering at the End of Empire

No comments: