Tuesday, August 19, 2008

In Memory of "Serendipity #28"

"Serendipity #28"
15"x15" 
Mixed Media Painting on Wood
© Jennifer J L Jones


I always tease that my paintings are my "children".  From conception to birth... I love each and every one of them. But, eventually I have to let go of them; it becomes necessary to kick them out of the studio so they can "be free" and go out into the world and find their way to the galleries and into collections. Of course I'm incredibly protective and always hoping for the best. Ideally they find someone that adores them and decidedly can't live without them. It makes my heart happy when I know the paintings are being enjoyed in a safe environment and it's pure joy to know that my work has reached collections worldwide. But until they get to those locations... there is the dreaded matter of shipping! 

I can't be sure what exactly happens when a shipment of paintings heads out into the world of transit... I cross my fingers that the artwork is packaged properly, insured, and that it will reach its final destination in perfect condition. Sadly, this isn't always the case. I've definitely had my luck in numbers... but the other day I found out that my dear little "Serendipity #28" didn't reach the gallery without suffering a terrible tragedy.  I suppose the guy driving the forklift that pierced the shipment and created a decent size hole through the wooden panel didn't notice the 'FRAGILE' stickers all over the box. Sigh.... Poor little painting! Luckily my work is always professionally packaged and insured, so once the "inspection" is completed and the insurance claim goes through, I can add UPS to my list of collectors. (I should note here though that I've been shipping through UPS nearly every week for years and I think I've only had three damaged pieces total, so the overall % has actually been in my favor.)

ANYWAY, the point of this post is to send out a gentle reminder and encourage everyone to ALWAYS effectively package your artwork - (no matter what size, shape, value, etc.) - to the best of your ability.  And please, please, please be sure to insure your precious creations. 
  

No comments: